Ive finished! Ive walked 1200 miles in 7 weeks and 4 days! Ive walked along roads, through fields, along rivers, over moors and over mountains. Ive had all sorts of weather from scortching hot to bitterly cold, gale winds, fog, thunder and lightening, but on the whole I think Ive been very lucky with the weather! Its been very hard mentally and physically at times but also very enjoyable and life enhancing. The wildlife and scenery have been amazing and I was even lucky enough to see an otter and just yesterday a seal. I will continue with the blog during my recovery time in Orkney as I know some people are interested to see the amazing sights of these islands. My thanks to everyone that has followed my blog for your encouragement and your generous donations to Naomis House Childrens Hopsice. It gives me great pleasure to know my efforts will help to support such a worthy cause.


LEJOG - Lands End John O Groats

Thanks for visiting my blog... This expedition has been two months in the planning and training and will hopefully be two months in the execution. I will endeavour to entertain you with a few tales and interesting pictures of my trip as I travel the length of Great Britain in my Lejog challenge... so please call back and send me messages of support to boost my tired legs!

I am collecting sponsorship for Naomi's House childrens hospice. Naomis house provides support and respite care to people under the age of 18 who are unlikely to live in to adulthood. They have two facilities in Hampshire costing 45 million per year to run, serving sick children in seven counties. They are 93% funded by charitable donations.

You can sponsor my trek at http://www.justgiving.com/Malcolm-Woodford

Wednesday 12 May 2010

I left Tintagel at eight thirty this morning after a breakfast of
Porridge a cup of tea and a chat with Belo about water powered cars
and crop circles, interesting guy to talk to. Hi to him and Sonia and
all the others I met there and good luck for your projects and
studies. From Tintagel I headed along the coastal road to Boscastle,
the village that found unfortunate national fame in 2004 when it was
devastated by freak floods washing down the valley. There was very
little evidence of the floods remaining and just a beautiful village
and harbour to be seen. I've just had to interrupt my blogging to
chase a swallow out of the campsite games room where I'm now sitting
charging the phone! Where was I... At boscastle I also was tooted by
the bikers that I'd shared a hostel room with at Tintagel, and I did
feel a little motor envy. From Boscastle I carried along the coast to
Crackington Haven and stopped for lunch only to find myself waving to
the bikers once again as they headed off from theirs. Here they have
famous deposits of quartz in the cliffs that are known in geological
circles worldwide so local knowledge tells me. Next stop from here was
Bude. Shortly before arriving in Bude I was passed by some cyclists
flying down the hill shouting a cheery hello, only to overtake one of
them on the next steep rise, a torturous 30% climb that must have gone
on for the best part of half a mile. At the top we got chatting and
Mark, Lee and Karen are also going to John O Groats, only in 9 days!
Good luck guys. Now I experience wheel envy! A long tramp in to Bude
and it was time for some more food. I'd had chips and curry sauce on
my mind for the last mile but had to content myself with a pasty and a
coke. Where would I sleep tonight? I'd planned to go on up to a little
place called Woodford but was told there was little there so decided
to make my cut East earlier than planned and head inland. After a
short distance I came upon a sign for Wooda campsite 1.5 miles and
thought that would do for the night. Upon arrival I was warmly greeted
and asked if I was walking for charity and then offered a free pitch
for the night with a free wifi pass thrown in. It really is a
beautiful campsite with fantastic facilities should anyone ever be
looking to stay near Bude. As you can see in the picture my tent is
pitched for the night and I'm looking forward to a good nights rest.

Hi to everyone back home and all my friends

Daily stats
Start - Tintagel
Finish - just east of Bude
Miles - 17?
Miles to go - 915?
Feeling - pretty good and hoping my ankle continues getting better as
it seemed to today

That's all folks ;-)