Ive finished! Ive walked 1200 miles in 7 weeks and 4 days! Ive walked along roads, through fields, along rivers, over moors and over mountains. Ive had all sorts of weather from scortching hot to bitterly cold, gale winds, fog, thunder and lightening, but on the whole I think Ive been very lucky with the weather! Its been very hard mentally and physically at times but also very enjoyable and life enhancing. The wildlife and scenery have been amazing and I was even lucky enough to see an otter and just yesterday a seal. I will continue with the blog during my recovery time in Orkney as I know some people are interested to see the amazing sights of these islands. My thanks to everyone that has followed my blog for your encouragement and your generous donations to Naomis House Childrens Hopsice. It gives me great pleasure to know my efforts will help to support such a worthy cause.

LEJOG - Lands End John O Groats

Thanks for visiting my blog... This expedition has been two months in the planning and training and will hopefully be two months in the execution. I will endeavour to entertain you with a few tales and interesting pictures of my trip as I travel the length of Great Britain in my Lejog challenge... so please call back and send me messages of support to boost my tired legs!

I am collecting sponsorship for Naomi's House childrens hospice. Naomis house provides support and respite care to people under the age of 18 who are unlikely to live in to adulthood. They have two facilities in Hampshire costing 45 million per year to run, serving sick children in seven counties. They are 93% funded by charitable donations.

You can sponsor my trek at http://www.justgiving.com/Malcolm-Woodford

Sunday, 20 June 2010

I joined the west highland way yesterday along with many other walkers
making a Saturday start to this very popular route. The first 12 miles
were along very easy tracks with just one major hill climb before
reaching the shores of Loch Lomond at Drymen. Having got chatting to a
couple of guys doing the route for charity we have ended up walking
together. Paul and Tommy have IT careers in the army and are
challenging themselves to complete the 100 mile route in the shortest
possible time; I can really see the no nonsense army approach in their
gutsy attitudes but blisters are none the less causing problems.
Yesterday we made camp at 10.30 having clocked up 30 miles.
Unfortunately the Scottish midge descended on us immediately we
stopped and I was a case of getting the tent up and getting in it as
quickly as possible. The weather is beautiful today and so is the
scenery but is making for a much slower pace than yesterday. We will
shortly break from the shade of the bar and the refreshing couple of
shandies to try and put in another ten miles today.